50mm f2 DG DN is a prime lens designed for full-frame mirrorless cameras. With a compact and lightweight build, it promises exceptional image quality and a versatile focal length for a range of photography genres. In this review, we’ll take a closer look at the features, performance, and overall value of the Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN.
Design and Build Quality
The Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN boasts a sleek and durable design with a metal body construction. The lens is relatively compact, measuring 3.35 inches in length and 2.8 inches in diameter, and weighs just 11.5 ounces. The focus ring is smooth and precise, and the lens includes a customizable AFL button for focus lock.
The Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN features 10 elements in 9 groups, including one aspherical element and three SLD (Special Low Dispersion) elements. This lens promises exceptional image quality with sharpness, contrast, and color accuracy. The maximum aperture of f2 allows for shallow depth of field and low light performance, and the minimum aperture of f22 provides ample depth of field for landscape and architectural photography.
Autofocus and Manual Focus
The autofocus system of the Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN is quick, accurate, and silent. The lens uses a stepping motor (STM) for smooth and quiet autofocus performance, and it includes an AF/MF switch for easy switching between autofocus and manual focus modes. The manual focus is also precise and smooth, making it easy to achieve accurate focus for stills and video.
The Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN does not include optical image stabilization, but it is compatible with camera-based in-body stabilization (IBIS) systems. This means that the lens can effectively stabilize images when used with cameras that feature IBIS, providing more flexibility for handheld shooting in low light or when shooting video.
Sample Images and Real-World Performance
In real-world testing, the Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN performs exceptionally well, with sharpness and clarity that rivals lenses that cost much more. The lens produces beautiful bokeh with creamy smooth backgrounds, and the overall color accuracy is excellent. Whether shooting portraits, landscapes, or street photography, the Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN delivers impressive results.
Pros and Cons
- Exceptional image quality
- Compact and lightweight design
- Quick and accurate autofocus
- Smooth and precise manual focus
- Beautiful bokeh with creamy smooth backgrounds
- No optical image stabilization
- Some vignetting at wider apertures
- The lens hood is sold separately
Who Is It For?
The Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN is an ideal lens for photographers who value exceptional image quality and a versatile focal length. It’s perfect for portraits, landscapes, street photography, and more. With its compact and lightweight design, it’s also an excellent choice for photographers who value portability and convenience.
Overall, the Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN is an outstanding lens that offers exceptional value for its price. It’s a versatile lens that delivers beautiful results in a range of photography genres, with a compact and lightweight design that makes it easy to carry and use. While it may lack some features found in more expensive lenses, such as optical image stabilization, it more than makes up for it with its exceptional image quality and overall performance.
- Is the Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN weather-sealed?
- No, the lens is not weather-sealed.
- Does the Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN work with Sony mirrorless cameras?
- Yes, the lens is compatible with Sony full-frame mirrorless cameras with an E-mount.
- What is the minimum focusing distance of the Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN?
- The minimum focusing distance is 15.7 inches.
- Is the Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN a good lens for video?
- Yes, the lens offers smooth and silent autofocus performance, making it a great choice for video.
- How does the Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN compare to other prime lenses in its price range?
- The Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN offers exceptional image quality and value compared to other prime lenses in its price range.
Overall, the Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN is a must-have lens for any mirrorless camera user looking for a versatile and high-quality prime lens. Its compact and lightweight design, combined with exceptional optical performance, makes it a perfect choice for a range of photography genres. Whether you’re a professional or amateur photographer, the Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN is a lens that should be in your kit.